The Harry Potter series are a set of seven books created by J.K Rowling, they are of the Fantasy genre, and they follow the story of Harry Potter, “The boy who lived”, as he comes to terms with being a wizard, and trying to survive against the most powerful and evil wizard of all time.
- Author: J K Rowling
- How many books? Seven (a powerful magical number), plus two extra books that J K Rowling wrote for charity, these books don’t follow the story however, they are simple add-ons, one of them is called Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, and it explains in more detail, and with images, about the many magical animals in the Harry Potter universe.
- Sold more than 400 million copies worldwide.
- Published in 67 languages.
- Have been adapted into a series of 8 movies by Warner Bros. Entertainment, and has had several video game adaptations on multiple platforms.
- Highest grossing movie series of all time.
The books follow Harry Potter, and his two best friends Hermione Granger, and Ronald Weasley, as they progress through their education at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. They don’t lead an ordinary life however, even by wizards standards, as they overcome many obstacles and dangers that include: Dragons, Dementors, Basilisks, Spiders the size of Humans, and many more!
The first of the books is called the Philosopher’s Stone, although it was re-named to the Sorcerer’s Stone in the USA because the publishing company felt that it would sell better. The books are mostly aimed at a younger audience, but the books are enjoyed by adults as much as they are by children. This led to the last 3 books in the series having seperate adult versions of them made. The only difference between the adult versions and the normal versions were the covers.
The series originated when J K Rowling was on a train, and she said that the character of Harry Potter appeared fully formed in her head. She started writing down notes there and then, but it would be a few more years before Harry Potter was ready to hit the shelves.
And when it did it would take the world by storm. The book was first published in June 1997, and by March 1999 had sold over 300,000 copies. It topped the New York times best selling fiction list for the best part of two years, showing that it was a worldwide success and not just in the United Kingdom.
The following six books went on to achieve greater success, which led Warner Brothers to adapt the books into feature length films. The first film was released on the 16th of November 2001, and has grossed just under one billion pounds at the box office. The series as a whole is the highest grossing film series of all time, with over 6 billion being made at the box office!